Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Apple Fennel Salad with Dill Vinaigrette


Tonight, I decided to try something new.  I've never had fennel, but I see it used a lot in salads.  I saw a spring salad on Pinterest that had fennel in it, so I thought it would be something fun to try out.  I googled what would be good with it, and found that it needs a bit of sweetness to contrast it's flavor and also that dill goes great with it as well.  I was worried at first, because when I began cutting it it smelled like licorice.  Fennel by itself was not the greatest, but when you got a bite of apple and fennel together it was really delicious.  I'd actually be willing to make this salad again, and Blake said he enjoyed it too.  The vinaigrette has some sweetness in it too which also helps compliment that bitter anise flavor of the fennel.


Blake - O - Meter

 This recipe received a 7!!!!! (I'm impressed by this rating, because although Blake enjoys salads, he doesn't love them the way I do, and I would have most likely given this the same rating)


INGREDIENTS:
1 Gala Apple - sliced
1/4 Small Sweet Onion - sliced
1/4 Fennel - sliced
2 Sprigs Dill - diced
2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
2 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbs. Honey
2 Tbs. Olive Oil

1.  In a small bowl, mix together the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Pour the vinaigrette over the sliced apple, fennel, and onion and serve immediately.

How easy is this?? I think everyone should at least give fennel a chance if you haven't had it yet.  You can't knock it 'till you try it!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete