Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cool as a Cucumber Shrimp Salad Sandwiches


I'm not usually one for cold shrimp. It has a weird texture that just doesn't work with me, but this sandwich was delicious.  For those who follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen I pinned a picture the other day of a shrimp salad sandwich.  It looked beautiful, and I knew it would be perfect for the type of wonderful week we are having.  This is definitely a meal best served on a summer day, or at the very least a sunny one.  Since I used quite a few pans, I opted for paper plates, which I must say were adorable.

How cute are these??? Thank you Meijer for the awesome find, and only $1.50 for a pack of 45!


 

Did I mention it got a 9 on the Blake-O-Meter?!
 INGREDIENTS:
12 Frozen Shrimp - thawed, de-veined, cleaned
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/3 Cup English Cucumber - diced
2 Tbs. Minced Chives 
1 Tbs. Minced Dill 
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise 
1 Tbs. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice 
Romaine Lettuce Leaves
Sub Rolls
Salt & Pepper to taste


 1.  Once the shrimp are thawed, begin heating a medium pan with 1 Tbs. Olive Oil on Medium Heat.   When hot, add the shrimp, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.  Flip the shrimp over and cook for another 2 minutes.  When the shrimp is finished cooking, remove and allow to cool on a paper towel.  You want the shrimp to cool down so that you can handle them without burning off your fingertips.  

2.  In a bowl, combine the cucumber, chives, and dill.  Once the shrimp are cooled, pull the tails off, and cut them in half long ways.  This can be a bit tedious, especially if you're not confident in your knife skills yet.  BE CAREFUL! Slow and steady wins the race here.  If you mess a few up, who cares!? I'm sure you'd rather keep all 10 of your fingers than worry about whether your shrimp are cut perfectly or not.  

3.  Add the shrimp to the bowl with cucumbers, then the mayonnaise and lemon juice. Stir to combine thoroughly, and then set aside.  


4.  To prepare the rolls, put them into your oven or toaster oven for a minute or two.  Put a roll on each plate with a few romaine leaves.  Pile the shrimp salad on top and enjoy! 


** Smaller versions of this would be so cute for a spring cocktail party too!
 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
QUESTION #3
Q: Describe your relationship with your parents. 
A: This is not an easy question to answer.  How do you sum up a relationship with two people that have been a part of your life literally for forever?  I can say, that although I'm a pretty awesome daughter, I did have my fair share of snotty moments.  Throughout high school, I'm sure I drove my parents nuts more than a few times, and there were a few times I was grounded and most likely deserved it.  With that said, I'd say my relationship with my parents has grown into something magnificent in the past 5 or 6 years.  I've come to find many things in common with my parents.  For example, cooking.  I absolutely love cooking now and I'm lucky because my mother was/is a fantastic cook.  Just from watching my mother in the kitchen, I've gained more skills than I could have imagined.  We also tend to have the same sense of humor, which could make any three year old blush. I credit her for my quick wit, comedic ways.  My mom and I are also able to talk about anything.  I cherish those moments when my mom shares something with me that allows me to know her even better.  Growing up, your parents know everything about you, they kept you alive for most of your life, but when you come into adulthood, you start to realize there is so much to learn about them.  I love learning about my parents, their views on things, what they like and dislike, what their childhood was like, what I can learn from them, etc.  My mother and I are serious thrifty shoppers, and I love going out with her to score the next big deal, because we are able to spend hours together talking and learning about each other.
 My dad and I are just as close.  I love hanging out with him, and although I'm notorious for my father's day/birthday gifts in the past being the fact that he could take ME to a movie, I'm pretty sure he loved it.  Now, we enjoy doing things outdoors like geocaching and going to flea markets.  I got my love of travel from my father as well, and he knows I'm always ready for a road trip.  I can't wait until I start working, so we can plan our train trip across the United States.  Although I'm daddy's "little girl," we've had more fun doing "boy" things together than girly things.  He would run, practice, and cheer me on at almost every game and every sport I played.  
 My favorite part of our relationship? I would say that our family is not overly "emotional." We don't always hug, and we're not those people running towards each other after a long separation. In the same respect, we don't fight very often, and when we do we are able to talk about it and move past it.  My favorite part of our relationship though would be that we always say I love you, and because it's not just thrown around all the time, you know it is more than the truth.   





No comments:

Post a Comment