Pages

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Honey Mustard Oven Baked Chicken

While watching Food Network the other week I saw a recipe on "Ten Dollar Dinners" that looked pretty cool.  I've never attempted to cook an entire chicken, but it is definitely a good deal.  The entire chicken only cost around $4.00!

WARNING!!!!! You will have to pull the gizzards out (they're luckily in a bag), you will also have to cut the back bone out with scissors, and finally you will break A LOT of bones. If you're okay with this, proceed.

I'm very proud of myself for cooking this particular meal.  Not only did I tackle something as gross as breaking chicken bones with my bare hands, but I also managed to make a sauce to go along with it that tasted fantastic! One more heads up, this took a long time, so if you don't have a day to devote to this, pick something else to cook.

The cooking process toke me 50 minutes, not to mention the hour it took to brine too.  Here's the link to the original recipe. It discusses how to cut the back bone out and how to brine it as well.  Do not skip this step, this was the juiciest chicken I've ever had. 


1.  Follow the directions and the recipe and brine the chicken for an hour.  I substituted rosemary for tarragon just because I already had it.  Use whatever you have on hand, or whatever herb you like best.

2.  For the sauce, combine 1/2 cup syrup, 1/4 cup Dijon, 1/2 cup chicken stock, 5 cloves garlic diced, 1/2 onion diced, and 2 sprigs rosemary diced in a bowl. Be careful about your salt and pepper if you are using a chicken stock that has sodium in it already.  Continue following the cooking directions from the previous recipe.  When you are ready to bake the chicken, pour the mixture over the chicken.

3.  The recipe said to bake the chicken at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, but mine actually took about 50 minutes to be fully cooked.  I took it out around 30 minutes to check, and I would recommend doing the same depending on how large your chicken is.  Mine was closer to five pounds then four, and this may have been the reason it took longer.

Blake - O - Meter 

This particular meal has received two ratings.  Lucky you.




In regards to the flavor, this chicken most definitely gets an 8












In regards to the time it took this got a rating of a 3

No comments:

Post a Comment