Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars: Chopped Challenge - Animal Crackers


This is the first of the Chopped Challenge for the blog, and I think it turned out pretty well.  Animal Crackers were by no means a difficult ingredient, but I think it's nice to start out with baby steps.  The ingredients get harder and harder each season, so I'm sure there will be more interesting ones to come! These Animal Crackers worked out well though, and were perfect for a fall recipe.  I love cheesecake, but it can sometimes be boring.  Updating it with canned pumpkin was the perfect touch.  Did I mention that I topped it off with homemade whip cream and Bourbon Candied Pecans? Don't worry I have that recipe below too! I adapted this recipe from a blog I found called Grandma's Desserts.  Click the link to check out all her amazing recipes!

CRUST:
6 oz. Original Animal Crackers - about 1/2 of the bag
5 Tbs. Melted Butter
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tsp.  Sugar

1.  Mix together all of the ingredients and press down into a greased brownie pan.  I don't like a lot of crust on my cheesecake, but I put about a 1/4 of an inch into the pan.

2.  Put the crust into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients.



FILLING:
3 8oz. Packages of cream cheese - softened
3/4 Cups Sugar
1 15oz. can of Pumpkin
2 Tbs. Flour
3/4 Tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
3/4 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Eggs - lightly beaten

1.  Cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.  Beat in the pumpkin, flour, spice, and vanilla.  Add the eggs and beat on low until combined.

2.  Pour over crust, and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until almost set.  It should wiggle just a little when you shake it.

3.  Refrigerate for 3+ hours before serving.

PECANS:
1/2 Cup+ Halved Pecans
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Tbs. Burbon/Whiskey
1 Tsp. Coffee

1.  Over Medium-Low heat, pour the sugar into a pan.  Allow to heat for about 5 minutes.  Add in the bourbon and coffee and allow it to cook until melted.  The picture below shows most of the stages.

2.  Once the sugar mixture is melted completely, stir in the pecans and make sure they are coated completely.

3.  Pour onto a baking dish covered in parchment and allow to cool.

4.  When ready to serve your cheesecake, chop up some of the candied pecans and enjoy!



** I always LOVE whipped cream, so I've included that recipe as well ***

WHIP:
8oz. Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Confectioners Sugar
1/4 Tsp.  Vanilla

1.  Whip until well blended and somewhat stiff.  Do not over whip the mixture or it will begin turning into butter!

3 comments: