Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Loaded Baked Sweet Potato


To say it's been awhile since I've cooked, would be an understatement.  To be honest, I just haven't felt like doing anything.  I've also been a bit uninspired.  I think the new fall weather will definitely bring some new and necessary inspiration, and I'm looking forward to it. 

Blake and I are officially in love with sweet potatoes, which most of you already know.  Anyone that says they don't like them, just hasn't had them the right way.  I love adding a little bit of sweetness, but I'm not looking to eat something that tastes like pumpkin pie.  Instead of using plain old sugar,  I wanted to use other items that could play up the sweetness of the potato.  That's why I added a heaping spoonful of slow cooked caramelized onions on top, right before serving it.  Of course, a loaded baked potato is not the same without bacon, and either is one of my recipes. 

After eating this, Blake suggested a little tab of cinnamon honey butter might be the thing that would take this recipe off the charts.  I can't say I disagree.  I served this along side a grilled Filet Mignon served on top of cream cheesy Polenta and topped with homemade herb garlic butter.  Needless to say, we are full. 

INGREDIENTS:
2 Small Sweet Potatoes - attempt to get ones that are generally the same size around
1/2 Sweet Onion
3-4 Slices Bacon - cook ahead of time
2 Tbs. Olive Oil or Butter
1 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbs. Sugar
2 tabs of butter for serving
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Slice or dice the onions depending on preference.  In a medium sized pan heat the butter or oil and begin sauteing.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to assist in the process.  Allow the onions to sweat for a few minutes and then add the balsamic vinegar and sugar.  Turn the heat to medium-low and allow to simmer while you continue cooking the rest of your meal.

2.  Then, wash the sweet potatoes but do not dry them.  Wrap each sweet potato in Saran Wrap tightly and microwave separately for 5 minutes.  The potatoes are ready when they are squishy to the touch.  If they are still hard in some parts, turn the potato over and microwave for a couple more minutes. 

**  This is much faster than baking them in the oven... not to mention we were out of foil, so this was really the only option.  Creativity is the key when cooking! The Saran Wrap acts as a steaming bag and cooks the potatoes super fast!

3.  Cut a slit in the top of the potato and place a small tab of butter inside.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with onions, bacon, and parsley for decoration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment