Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Bacon & Gouda Sandwich


Bacon.  It's the answer to many questions in life.  What should we do for dinner tonight? Bacon.  What do you think would make this recipe even better? Bacon.  Not only is bacon delicious, but it's all the rage lately.  We see bacon band aids, mints, toothpaste, and air fresheners, so you know your significant other/friends will love you if you make them this sandwich.  Blake and I rarely eat a normal BLT sandwich, and when we do it's usually done to highlight our fresh tomatoes from the garden and not the bacon (weird).  I wanted to make an updated version of the bacon sandwich, where all the elements added to the bacon without taking attention away from it (that's better).  While prepping the bacon I kept thinking about how I wished I had peppered bacon and so then this happened.....



Me:  "I wish I had peppered bacon instead of this plain old Kirkland brand... maybe I should pepper it myself?"

Bacon: "yes.."
                   
Me:  "That was easy... maybe I should add other spices like garlic powder?"
                  
Bacon:  "oh god, yes"

Me:   ..........











The options are now endless....

INGREDIENTS:
Bread (anything you have) 
Bacon (2 slices per sandwich)
1 Avocado - smashed and mixed with 1 tbs. lemon juice, salt, & pepper
1/2 Sweet Onion - sauteed
Gouda (you can buy it pre-sliced and use 1 per sandwich)
Jelly (whatever you like)

1. Cook your bacon over medium heat.  Low and slow is the best way to render out fat, and it makes it perfectly crispy.  Drain out all but 2 tbs. of the bacon fat.

2.  Saute the onions in the bacon fat until soft.  While sauteing, mash up the Avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes if your daring.

3. Toast or grill your bread, then spread a substantial layer of Avocado on one slice.  On the other slice spread a thin layer of your favorite jelly.  I know this sounds weird but it adds the perfect balance of sweet and salty.

4.  Top the avocado with grilled onions and then the two slices of bacon.  Put the Gouda on the side with the jelly and then sandwich both sides together. Enjoy. 











No comments:

Post a Comment