Pages

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Farm Fresh Eggs & Southwest Hash


My mom brought me home some farm fresh eggs the other day, so I knew I had to make something delicious with them this weekend.  She bought a coworker some baby chickens for her chicken coop, and this was the result.  Apparently the chickens lay an egg a day! If they were mine, I'd have some serious Cholesterol problems.

How gorgeous are those eggs, it makes me wonder why I haven't been using them forever.  There's something so natural about these multicolored eggs each one being a slightly different size, instead of the cookie cutter bleached white eggs from the supermarket.  I got started cooking a bit late, so this was more of a brunch than a breakfast.  Since Blake and I would be eating it for two meals, I wanted to make sure it had some substance.  This is "southwestern" style hash because it has sweet corn, jalapenos, and black beans in it.  It was delicious, but beware, it was very filling! Blake's mom dropped off some sweet corn that she picked up from a local stand, and it was the perfect touch of sweetness!

INGREDIENTS
2 Yukon Gold Potatoes diced
3 Slices Bacon - diced
1/2 Sweet Onion - diced
1/2 Can Black Beans - rinsed
1/4 Cup Shredded Mexican Cheese 
1 Ear Sweet Corn - cut off cob
1 Jalapeno - minced
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Begin by cooking the bacon until it is almost crispy.  Drain all grease from pan, except for 1-2 tablespoons. Add in diced onions and saute until they begin to turn soft.

2.  Add in the diced potatoes and cover for 3-4 minutes (you may need to add a tbs. of butter if there isn't enough bacon grease).  Allow the potatoes to cook and brown a bit.  This will take approximately 5-6 minutes depending on how small you cut the potatoes.  Add in the beans, corn, and jalapeno and continue cooking for 3-4 more minutes.  The beans are already cooked, and you just need to warm the corn through.

3.  Once finished cooking, mix in the shredded cheese.  Serve and top with your favorite type of egg.
________________________________________________________________________________

Question #11
Describe a current day in your life.

Up until yesterday I was spending my days at my internship located at Hawthorn Center Psychiatric Hospital.  As you can imagine there was rarely a boring moment.  My day often began by me pressing snooze enough times that I looked like a hot mess at work because I didn't have the time to get ready. 

I would check my emails while drinking my coffee, and the rest of my day was spent doing therapy and writing reports.  I cannot forget my favorite hour of the day though, lunch.  I absolutely loved my lunch hour.  I was able to spend it talking with my classmates about anything and everything, ranging from Disney World to girls and their crazy Facebook pictures!

Once work was over, I'd head home and feed the cat, lay on the couch, and watch Dr. Phil.  This amazing after work plan was interupted by the recent wedding planning.  Thank god that's over! Now I can get back to watching "Dr." Phil on TV again! While spending some quality time with the cat on the couch, I often search for dinner ideas on Pinterest or Google.  Once I have a idea of what I'd like to make, I head off to the kitchen. 

Blake and I clean up the kitchen (mostly Blake... that's our deal), and then watch some Breaking Bad or other TV show on Netflix.  I'm rarely awake past 10:45, and then I begin it all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment