Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Black Cherry Peach Glazed Ham Steak


All of this wedding stuff is certainly getting in the way of my cooking.  I have been non-stop running around for the past two weeks.  Whether it be picking up my wedding dress, getting fittings done, putting together invitations, or any of the other 101 things that still need to be done, I can't seem to find any time to cook.  Tonight however, I was determined.  With only a few things in the fridge I managed to put this simple meal together, which actually turned out to be delicious.  I am a huge fan of sweet and salty, and this recipe is the perfect balance of just that.  Normally, my family only eats ham at Christmas, so I wanted to make this recipe a bit more "summer" friendly.  The fruit was a wonderful touch and added a wonderful sweetness to the glaze.  On the side I served a cold green and black bean salad with an orange honey vinaigrette. 


INGREDIENTS:
1 Ham Steak - about 1 inch thick
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Medium Orange -Juiced
2 Tbs. Jam - cherry, strawberry, apricot - whatever!
10-12 Black Cherries - pitted and halved
1-2 Peaches - sliced

1.  In a large skillet, cook the ham steak on each side for 3-4 minutes.  In a separate small pot add in the rest of the ingredients and allow them to simmer for about 5-6 minutes. 

2.  When the ham is done, place in a baking dish, and pour glaze and fruit over top.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. 

*** If you'd like an extra thick glaze, strain the juices after cooking in the small pot and heat until it is reduced by half. 



Green Bean Salad: 
Green Beans - cooked for about 4 minutes then cooled
Black Beans - strained and rinsed
Orange Bell Pepper - diced
1/4 Sweet Onion - sliced
Tomatoes - sliced

Orange Vinaigrette
2 Medium Oranges - Juiced
2 Tbs. Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 Cup Olive Oil 
1 Tbs. Honey
3 Roasted Garlic Cloves - mashed
Salt and Pepper to taste

1.  Mix all of the ingredients together and chill until ready to use.  I like to mix my salad and let it sit in the fridge for a while before serving.  The flavors are able to soak into the veggies a bit and makes it taste a ton better! 




No comments:

Post a Comment