Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fried Oatmeal with Raspberries and Maple Syrup

Earlier this week, I had a massive fail while attempting to re-create lettuce wraps.  They not only tasted pretty terrible, but I also received a pretty nasty burn mark as well. All in all a fail.  Recently, I've become seriously addicted to Stumble Upon (BTW, Make sure to click the link to the right to help get my blog on Stumble Upon!).  While looking at food blogs at all hours of the night, I came across a delicious recipe for fried oatmeal.  Clearly I was intrigued. Not only because it sounded delicious, but how could this ever work? Surprisingly, after glancing at the recipe I realized it was quite easy.  I decided to give it a try this morning.  A quick heads up, I made the oatmeal a day ahead to ensure that it would set completely.  Also, you don't want to cook the oatmeal with too much water, or it will not set properly.  Looking back, I would add even less water then the recipe called for.  I also added some raisins and a bit of brown sugar to my oatmeal to add a bit of sweetness.

INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Quick Cooking Oats - cook according to box
1/4 Cup raisins
1 Tbs. Packed Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Frozen Raspberries
1 Tsp. Sugar
2 Tbs. Butter
Maple Syrup for serving

Oops, how did that get in there??? Bumble Bean!!!!!!

1.  A day ahead of time, cook your oats according to the directions on the box.  As I stated before, you may want to go light on the cooking liquid to help the oatmeal set properly.  After cooking the oatmeal, add the raisins and brown sugar.

2.  Place the cooked oatmeal in a loaf pan, cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and place in the fridge to cool and set until the next morning.

3.  In a medium pan melt the butter on medium to medium-high heat.  Take your loaf pan out of the refrigerator and cut oatmeal into squares.  Using a spatula remove the pieces out in preparation for cooking.  Place into heated pan and fry for 2-3 min on each side or until golden brown.

4.  Mix the sugar with eh defrosted berries.  Serve fried oatmeal atop the berries and top with maple syrup.

This is a wonderful surprise to the boring old oatmeal breakfast.  You could add many different fruits to your oatmeal to change up the flavor too! Be creative and always enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment